Tuesday, April 12, 2011

YouTube

This article was great for what I was looking for which was how YouTube can be used in the classroom. The article gave very valid points like YouTube being faster than having to check out a book from the library to explain a concept like "nostalgia". In this example, students were able to go on YouTube and look up episodes or clips of old TV shows which struck up a conversation between the students about old favorite TV shows,leading them into demonstrating "nostalgia".

In the article, it does explain that YouTube contains material that is not appropriate for school, but it also explains how there are allternative tools like StudentTube and TeacherTube. A valid point is made when the author includes "I understand why teachers and principals don't like YouTube being available for students to use. There are different videos in YouTube that are not suitable for kids to view. But, I think teacher should be able to access it because there are a lot of educational videos that are in YouTube. But if no one can get into it then all of the educational value is lost. (Madison, blog post)".

Personally, I think that schools need to find a better way of filtering this site, as clearly, it is a useful tool for the classroom. I am sure that most of us who are becoming teachers would agree.

Mullen, R., & Wedwick, L. (2008). Avoiding the Digital Abyss: Getting Started in the Classroom with YouTube, Digital Stories, and Blogs. Clearing House, 82(2), 66-69. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

No comments:

Post a Comment